Board of Director’s Meeting Minutes – October 10, 2017

Download PDF

Ontario Horse Trials Association Board of Directors Meeting
October 10, 2017
Schomberg Community Centre

Present: Pat Frewen-Lord, Katie Holman, Lisa Thompson, Peta Christen, Roseanne Corbett
Conference Call-in: Helen Richardson, Kate Farrell
Regrets: Chris Emmett, Ann Neal, Amy Jackson

1. Call to Order: 7:02pm

2. Meeting Opening
On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, the agenda for the October 10, 2017 Board of Directors meeting was approved.
On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, the minutes from the September 11, 2017 Board of Directors meeting were approved.
Housekeeping Items:
Membership
As of September 29, 2017, there were 973 members as follows: 673 Senior, 270 Junior and 29 Associates. This is a decrease of 122 members over the same period in the prior year.
Elections for Executive Positions
On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, the following persons were elected to form the Executive Committee:
President – Pat Frewen-Lord
Vice President – Katie Holman
Chair – Sarah Irving
Treasurer – Roseanne Corbett
Secretary – Lisa Thompson

3. Matters for Discussion

President’s Report
There was discussion over reimbursing costs relating to the November 4, 2017 meetings with the other Provincial Horse Trials Associations and Equestrian Canada.
On a motion duly made, seconded, and unanimously carried, the Board agreed to reimburse $150 per room per night to those directors attending the November 4, 2017 meeting in Toronto.
On a motion duly made, seconded, and unanimously carried, the Board agreed to pay an additional $160 towards the breakfast meeting with the other Provincial Horse Trial Associations on November 4, 2017.
Pat reported that Veronica Low has agreed to be the moderator for the Town Hall meeting to be held as part of the Annual General Meeting on November 18, 2017. The Town Hall meeting will replace the traditional committee report presentations that had been done in past years. The Treasurer’s report will still be given and there will still be an election for directors. The Board will compile a list of questions for the members to answer in order to give them input into what they envision for the future of our sport.

The Board also discussed putting on a ‘grass roots’ clinic next year to try and get more people interested in eventing.

Treasurer’s Report
Roseanne will distribute the financial statements after the meeting.
All of the Championship funding has been paid out. To date, Roseanne has not received many CIP claims from organizers.

Strategic Planning and Governance Manual
Nothing to report.

Funding
There was discussion over the CIP claim sent in by Wesley Clover. They received funding in the prior year as Ottawa Horse Trials, and are essentially claiming this again this year as Wesley Clover, but the course design is for the same course. There was a consensus among the directors that Wesley Clover should not receive this funding again.

Growing the Sport
Nothing to report.

Competitions and Championships
The organizer’s meeting will be held on October 29, 2017 at 11am at the Prince Albert Hall in Port Perry.

Young Riders
Nothing to report.

Banquet, Awards and Leaderboards
There are still perpetual trophies that need to be returned. Another email blast will be sent out reminding those who have the trophies to return them as soon as possible.

Volunteer Incentive Program
Nothing to report.

Officials, Safety and Rules
Nothing to report.

Communications
Katie to a blast to remind trophy holders to return their trophies as soon as possible; blast to members to inform them of the format the AGM will be taking this year i.e. a Town Hall meeting; a blast regarding ticket sales for the AGM and Banquet.

4. Meeting Finalization
Review of Actions:
– Blasts to be sent
Next Meeting: December 11, 2017 in person at Schomberg Community Centre

Meeting Adjournment: 9:20pm.