Board of Directors Meeting Minutes – December 12, 2016

Download in PDF Format

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
December 12, 2016

At Schomberg Community Centre

Present on Call: Pat Frewen-Lord, Lisa Thompson, Katie Holman, Sylvia Dixon, Peta Christen, Ann Neal, Kate Farrell, Amy Jackson, Helen Richardson, Roseanne Corbett
Regrets: Cristina Barbour, Sarah Irving, Chris Emmett

1. Call to Order: 7:03pm

2. Meeting Opening

On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, the agenda for the December 12, 2016 Board of Directors meeting was approved.

On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, the minutes from the October 11, 2016 Board of Directors meeting were approved.

Housekeeping Items:

New and Retiring Directors
Pat welcomed the new Directors – Ann Neal and Chris Emmett – and thanked the retiring Director – Deb Welna. Lisa will give the new directors their Directors’ binder at the next in-person meeting, and Katie will provide them with a copy of Robert’s Rules. The Code of Conduct was distributed by email prior to the meeting and Katie reminded everyone to read and sign it.

Conflict of Interest
There was discussion regarding conflict of interest and the Directors were asked to disclose any affiliations that could cause a conflict of interest issue to arise in future. Conflict of interest is the perception of making a decision to benefit your own interests. The following are the affiliations disclosed by the Directors:

  • Lisa Thompson – Wits End Horse Trials
  • Katie Holman – Grandview Horse Trials
  • Peta Christen – no affiliations
  • Sarah Irving – Grandview Horse Trials
  • Pat Frewen-Lord – no affiliations
  • Helen Richardson – Oakhurst Horse Trials
  • Sylvia Dixon – no affiliations
  • Amy Jackson – Stevens Creek Horse Trials
  • Kate Farrell – no affiliations
  • Cristina Barbour – no affiliations
  • Ann Neal – no affiliations
  • Chris Emmett – no affiliations

Recap of Elections for Executive Positions
At the Board meeting on October 11, 2016, the following directors were elected to the Executive Committee:

President – Pat Frewen-Lord
Vice President – Katie Holman
Chair – Sarah Irving
Treasurer – Roseanne Corbett (Executive Director)
Secretary – Lisa Thompson

The executive directors were not chosen during the October meeting. Kate and Sylvia expressed interest in being executive directors.

On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, Kate Farrell and Sylvia Dixon will be executive directors for 2017.

Meeting with the CEC and Provincial Reps
There will likely be a meeting again in November 2017 between the Canadian Eventing Committee and representatives from the various Provincial Horse Trials Associations. The exact date will to be confirmed later. Katie, Roseanne, Helen and Pat expressed an interest in attending this meeting. Any Director interested in attending is welcome to do so.

2017 Meeting Schedule and Venue
Regular Board meetings will be held on the second Monday of every month, except for the October meeting, which will be held on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. The November 2017 meeting will be replaced by the AGM. Pat introduced the idea of minimizing the number of in-person meetings for 2017. It was decided that the in-person meetings, which will still be at the Schomberg Community Centre, will be held in January, March, May, July, October and December. Conference call meetings will be held in February, April, June, August and September. Any Director who is unable to attend an in-person meeting can still attend via conference call.

Committees
There was discussion over who will be the Chair of the various committees, and who will be committee members. A completed copy of the Committee Listing is attached to these minutes.

3. Matters for Discussion

President’s Report
Pat reported that she received an email from Jo Young requesting financial help with her ad in the omnibus. There was discussion over whether funding should be given to organizers for this type of expense.

On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, the Board denied Jo Young’s request for funding for an ad in the omnibus.

The results from the survey conducted this past summer were distributed in full to the organizers. There was discussion over what the Board’s ethical obligations are regarding publishing the survey results for the membership to see. If we do so, we are likely not complying with privacy law. This issue will be investigated further and a decision will be made as to whether or not we will make the survey results public.

Treasurer’s Report
Roseanne reported that there are no financial statements available yet as she is still rolling everything over to the new year and there has been no activity anyway. Roseanne reminded everyone that each committee chair will have to submit a budget for their committee prior to the January 2017 meeting. Budgets are based on expenditures from the prior year, but if a committee chair thinks they will need money for their committee, they should prepare and submit a budget. The budget will be finalized in February 2017.

Roseanne mentioned that we need to develop a manual of OHTA procedures. This issue will be discussed in greater detail at a future meeting.

There was discussion over changing the late-fee deadline for membership renewal.

On a motion duly made, seconded and unanimously carried, the Board agreed to extend the late-fee date for membership renewals to May 1st each year.

Strategic Planning and Governance Manual
Nothing to report.

Funding
Nothing to report.

Growing the Sport
Nothing to report.

Competitions and Championships
Nothing to report.

Young Riders
There was discussion over the two communications sent out by the committee in November 2016 regarding the 2017 Young Rider program. The decisions behind the direction taken for 2017 were discussed in detail.

Banquet, Awards and Leaderboards
Nothing to report.

RAWF
Nothing to report.

Volunteer Incentive Program
Nothing to report.

Officials, Safety and Rules
Nothing to report

Communications
It was agreed that the new website should be kept as up-to-date as possible. If any director would like something put on the website they are to contact Amy. It was also agreed that a short bio for each director should be put on the website. There was discussion over setting up a sales page on the website for people to post paid-for ads to sell horses and other horse-related items such as tack and equipment. Amy will investigate that it would take to do this.

4. Meeting Finalization
Next Meeting: January 9, 2017 at Schomberg Community Centre
Meeting Adjournment: 9:15pm.

OHTA Committees as of December 12, 2016

Committee Chair Other Members
Financial Statements & Budget Pat Frewan-Lord Roseanne Corbett
Strategic Planning & Governance Manual Katie Holman Amy Jackson, Lisa Thompson
Funding Programs Pat Frewen-Lord Roseanne Corbett
Growing the Sport Sarah Irving Ann Neal-Bondrager, Chris Emmett
Competitions (event schedule, course inspections, organizers meeting) & Championships Peta Christen Katie Holman, Deb Welna
Young Riders Helen Richardson & Lisa Thompson Christina Barbour, Joan Sheridan, Siobhan O’Connor, Holly Jacks
Banquet, AGM, Awards &, Leaderboards Sylvia Dixon Deb Welna, Ann Neal-Bondrager, Roseanne Corbett
Volunteer Incentive Program Sylvia Dixon
Officials, Safety & Rules Kate Farrell Amy Jackson
Communications (website, email blasts, event evaluations and omnibus) Katie Holman Amy Jackson